From the 21st of December this year EU directives will come into force requiring car insurance for men and women to comply with new anti gender discrimination laws. This will mean that car insurance for men and women must be estimated according to any criteria except gender.
Older women, who will have gradually seen men’s policies come into line with their own anyway, probably won’t see much of a difference to their car insurance prices. However young women set to see their premiums skyrocket by as much as 90%, in some cases, meaning that in the near future driving may become an impossible dream for some young women who find themselves unable to afford the increases.
Car Insurance in Ireland Still Low
Despite the increases, Axa car insurance for women in Ireland will still remain less than half of what would be charged in the UK and Northern Ireland. Still, if you’re looking to buy any kind of insurance it’s always best to shop around as quotes will vary between providers depending on your circumstances, the type of vehicle you own, and your driving history. Irish car insurance for women will be assessed on the same basis as for men, however if you have a good driving record and are over 25 you will qualify for reductions.
Which Reductions Do You Qualify For?
- There are several factors to take into account when shopping for a new insurance provider:
- Age – Rates drop as you get older, particularly if you keep your no claims discount.
- Experience – New drivers will generally pay more for their insurance than established drivers.
- Safety – Insurance providers always look kindly upon drivers who take extra safety measures, such as installing a black box or taking a Plus Pass course.
- Mileage – Some insurance companies offer discounts for drivers who have a low yearly mileage. It’s always worth asking!
- Home and Motor Discounts – Sometimes combining your insurance will save you money.
- Your Vehicle – The newer and more powerful your vehicle, the higher your insurance premiums will be.
- Monthly Payments vs. Yearly – Sometimes the benefits of paying monthly are outweighed by the total cost.
- Remove All Unnecessary Additions – such as extra drivers. However adding your partner to your insurance policy might save both of you money.
The Most Important Rule When Buying Car Insurance
When purchasing Irish car insurance, just as with any other kind of insurance, you must always remember to shop around and have your policies re-assessed regularly. Drivers who forget to have their insurance reviewed may miss out on better rates, either with their current provider or elsewhere.